We have caller ID so that we know who is calling us, and we have answering machines either built into the phone or as a service from our provider so that we don't have to answer the phone. We have spell checkers so that we don't have to know how to spell. Screen readers and audio books replace the need for braille so we don't need to know how to read. Possibly, in the future, voice dictation and visual gestures may take the place of keyboards so we won't need to know how to type. With all of the skills that will be lost due to not being needed, is this a good thing? It's the dumbing down of humanity, getting worse and worse.

Now, am I serious, or not?? To a degree, yes. Oh, I almost forgot one more: Calculators make learning math unnecessary. How many people do math in their heads anymore, or even know how to make change at a supermarket? What would they do if the cash register's power fails and they have to do anything manually?

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] end of keyboards, was Throwaway Tech

Hi Phil,

I suppose that is always possible. I'm seeing more and more voice
dictation all the time, and although I can't really use it myself I do
see the mainstream using it as a replacement for keyboard input in a
few years. I hadn't thought about that issue before, but as voice
dictation improves people are naturally going to use that over
physical input devices like keyboards and touchscreens.

Cheers!