linus torvolds did not need any money to make his linux kernel. I wish we could go forward but have the attitudes of the programmers of the 1970s and 1980s. I wrote some code. want to share it? sure. copyright is getting way out of hand. ms-dos did not have all the restrictions windows has on it with copying and such.