A massive mainstream game is the size of a real life city.

From: "Michael Gauler" <michael.gau...@gmx.de>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:35
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] audio games popularity

Hi Thomas,
I agree with you that a lot of mobile games are either accessible or can be
made accessible in a short amound of time, once the basic apps are nearly
completed on such platforms.

However, what I didn't get was why many of the long time developers of PC
audio games had to leave.
I mean, it is one thing to actively develop new games and release them.
But if you have an automated online shop and an automated system to handle
sending out registration keys, then I don't get why Liam stopped selling the
two older titles or why BSC Games stopped selling their old titles.
And if they thought that they really would want to go, they could surely
have handled that exit better, since not everyone bought their final package
which contained all their games plus the official key generator.
But I think that people who already owned one or more of their games
wouldn't want to buy them again and thus were unable to get new keys the
moment they had to switch computers or reinstall.
I can tell you how I approached that situation.
I bought that final package with the unlock tool but only because I had
enough money at that time and because I had not bought any of their games
before.
I knew of them and I played the demos and their free games before.
But I didn't waste my money because I have the entire package now and I
didn't buy anything before that.
If I had, I wouldn't have bought that package because that would have been
paying for some games twice.

And I don't want to attack the developers we currently have for PC games.
But many of them are permanently in a "simple" game sector like making
accessible board or card games.
Others make browser and thus online games.
And some more are not yet experienced enough to do some complex games.
And sadly, when I look at what is out there in mainstream games right now, I
really think that it is a bit sad that so many of our games are so extremely
small compared to mainstream titles.
I don't know how large the world of Paladin of the Sky or Entombed might be
as a whole but I am sure that any major RPG title like Elder Scrolls 5,
Final Fantasy 13 or even World of Warcraft have a game world the sice of a
bigger country of the real earth at least.

I also don't get why many audio games don't offer expansions or DLC packages
(free or paid downloadable content) once it is released.
And many games allow you to make your own extensions.
I had hoped that Draconis for example would have released more addons to ESP
Pinball Extreme, but up to this point, there is no information for that
game.
I also wondered why there was not an option to make your own Pinball tables
for example.
And if the Entombed Dungeon Creator would have been released, then we might
have seen some user created addons for that game...

And finally, many current mainstream games either include the soundtrack or
you can buy it optionally as a regular CD like with movie soundtracks.