Hi Michael,

I do see where you are coming from here, but unfortunately it is a
case of the application developer not taking an interest in
accessibility, not making their application accessible, and not
working with screen reader manufacturers to make their program
accessible. I've already indicated in a prior e-mail how a screen
reader works in principle, and when a developer chooses to use
non-standard APIs and graphical user interfaces there is no
accessibility to be had. That means if Adobe, for example, doesn't
work towards making their custom graphical user interfaces accessible
then Jaws, Window-Eyes, NVDA, etc is not going to be able to read
stand alone Flash applications no matter how old it is. The point is
that accessibility requires cooperation from the application's
developer as much as the screen reader developer.

For example, you mentioned pdf accessibility. That is a good example.
There was a time in the 90's when Acrobat Reader was still owned by
Macromedia and it was not accessible at all. It was later purchased by
Adobe, and beginning with Acrobat Reader 5 Adobe put a lot of time and
work into making it screen reader accessible. They worked with Freedom
Scientific and the other screen reader companies to insure
accessibility. If Adobe put as much time and energy into Flash access
as they had on Acrobat Reader access then Flash would be accessible.

Bottom line, the reasons some technologies are accessible and some
aren't comes down to two things. One the application was developed
using standards, or two they worked side by side with the screen
reader manufacturers to make their technology accessible. Without that
cooperation chances are no accessibility will come of the technology.

Cheers!