@Tom.

Entombed two isn't even a "paid upgrade" it's as you said a separate game entirely, indeed it's being programmed right from scratch and is as I understand using different language and development tools from entombed, such as unity and lua scripting. As far as I understand the situation while jason might borrow some of the more interesting concepts from Entombed 1, he's also planning on altering lots, so it is as you said an utterly separate game, ie, this is entombed ii the skeleton tower, not entombed version 2.0.

How the pricing might work goodness knows, especially sinse the plan is for entombed 2 to be modable, but like much else with Entombed 2 we'll have to wait and see.

Jason has however said on the entombed list that the beta versions at least will be free.

Beware the grue!