Hi Scott,

Yes, cross-platform support is definitely one reason people may want
to use Unity. Anyone who has tried doing cross-platform development
learns early on that it is pretty difficult and a tool like Unity
obviously helps ease a developer in the transition from one platform
to another because it was developed for multiple platforms. That is
most definitely an advantage in Unity's favor over traditional
programming languages.

That said, the reason most accessible games are not cross-platform is
simply because the developer in question chose a lot of Windows
specific languages and tools like Visual Basic 6, for example, and now
are unable to change because their games and development tools were
tied specifically to Windows. Had they chosen C, C++, Python, Java, or
something else they would have had much more freedom to explore
alternative platforms. So while Unity would certainly help just
choosing a more cross-platform language and tools would work equally
well.

Cheers!