Excellent points there.

Focus your powers and prepare for buttle.
-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Towne
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 11:53 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] info AudioGames Game Engine

As a programmer, I have to agree with Thomas, and I won't be signing it either.

The biggest reason I have is that Unity is primarily a graphical
development engine.  Sure, it has a lot of infrastructure, and sure
there's a lot of utility in there - but fundamentally, it's designed
for and used by game developers to make highly graphical, visual games
for which there can be no little to no accessibility.  Making menus
and other such things accessible is utterly unhelpful if the vast bulk
of the games go into full screen rendered graphics immediately
afterward.

Also as Thomas said, specialized tools are really the 'correct' thing
to do here.  Much like you wouldn't try to tack a backhoe or crane
onto a bicycle, we shouldn't be trying to tack on accessibility
support to a product designed from the ground up to develop graphical
software.  Things like BGT are exceptionally good development tools,
and I'm truly surprised it isn't used more by audio game devs.

I know the community here is all about equality and 'just being able
to play the same games that sighted people can' - but I really feel
that's not only the wrong focus, but counterproductive.  My years of
running AA have shown me that the best sighted interface is almost
completely unusable to the blind, and the best blind interface is
almost completely unusable to the sighted.  This is not a bug; this is
a feature.  Blind games should be and have to be optimized for the
blind, because the blind interact with the game in a fundamentally
different way than the sighted.  Very few games are going to be able
to provide both interfaces in a meaningful fashion.

We should focus on games that are awesome for the blind because they
were designed with the blind in mind, instead of trying to force
developers to tack on token support that won't help anyone anyway.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Daniele Casarola