Sadly "just having the sounds turned into pictures" is easier said than done, likewise I doubt game stop (which I assume is rather like game station is over here in the Uk), would stock independently produced games.

If there was an audiogames console, the plane fact is only blind people would buy it and it's doubtful anyone would develop games with graphics for it. Plus, to be brutally honest, why should I pay for additional hardware when I already have a computer and an Iphone that can play games no problem? When a sighted person buys a games consoles, there are lots of games that won't! be available on their pc, or mac or whatever, however as a blind person that is not the case, and I don't think you could find a dedicated list of developers willing to write games for a new platform when they could already develop games for Windows pc, Ios, or even Mac or Android and know they'd have a dedicated pool of users who already have the hardware and inclination to buy their games without laying out additional costs.

Developing audiogames for actual graphical consoles like the playstation or xbox might be a possibility, though even there you have the problem of firstly how a blind person accesses the text in the game with no software or os based synthesisers (I have heard importing of things like sapi onto Xbox and ps4 has been tried but I'm not sure how it went), also manifestly you have the problem that only some blind users will have consoles, and of the potential sighted users of games consoles it's uncertain how many would buy an audiogame anyway making development of it worth while.

Game consoles come from a time when most people didn't own computers, and when the dedicated processing power and potentials of the hardware was far more than a similar computer system. That however is fading these days no longer the case, most people already own a computer or smart phone and can play games on it, indeed I've heard steam (irritating as it is for their lack of access), called the next step in consoles, ie, a virtual os that doesn't come with any hardware at all but runs on the user's own existing devices.

So bottom line, I don't really think a console for the blind would work at all, at most it'd mean laying out extra expense for a few users and for developers to write for a platform with potentially even less users than normal, and it's even less likely that such a console would be picked up by sighted people.

Better focus on platforms everyone! has access too than try to create another, heck look at the interest by sighted players in games like pappasangre on the Iphone.

all the best,