Hi Damien,
I'm very interested in your experience with .NET as I am not only a end
user but a developer using the technology in many of my projects. I
haven't experienced those specific issues you were talking about here,
but it sounds to me as if you were running a mismatched version of app
and framework or were missing some other core component the app
requires. Perhaps, I can solve your issue.
First, can you list the titles of the applications that failed to run
with the .NET Framework?
Second, what version of the framework are you running. Anything prier to
2.0 I personally don't recommend unless a developer has specified it is
absolutely necessary that you don't upgrade to 2.0.
Third, did you check to see if any other components were missing?
 For example, when STFC came out everyone was getting that error, and it
turned out while they were installing DirectX 9 they had not installed
the DirectX 9 version required for .NET Framework applications. Which is
the reason I now do web setup installs for DirectX and specify right off
on my FAQ page install .NET and run this file which will sort out which
version you are missing and needs updated.
Fourth, as for Jaws did you install the VS scripts. If so I can tell you
that was sort of a mistake. I found Jaws ran better with VS 2005 without
scripts than with the ones FS offers. Seriously, I believe I could have
written better ones myself, but my Jaws scripting skills are pretty
rusty from not being used much over the last three years or so.
Finally, I don't think the issues you experienced under your current os
will happen under Vista. The .NET Framework is now a core component of
the os, and the DirectX that ships with Vista, DirectX 10, has the
managed libraries for DirectX already included. Vista also comes with a
managed version of SAPI for .NET applications, and well allot of the
extras you had to update in 2000, 2003, and XP is just there out of the box.
I'm going to be installing my .NET Framework apps as soon as Vista gets
loaded on this machine, and I will certainly let you know if they ran as
expected. I seriously doubt any issues with Monty, STFC, or Raceway as
everything should be up to date and be there already.