Well.

I've now played rale racer for a good few races, fed art my dust at Rale racer
pro level, (the bonus track is one nasty piece of work), and so can probably
give an honest opinion about the game.

Firstly, I must admit racing games aren't my favourite genre, I've been
interested in the developement of rale racer because it seemed to involve a lot
of new things that hadn't been tried before in audio games, but I wasn't
certain whether the game would appeal to me or not, but it certainly does! I
love the way everything can be done intuatively just using the sfx without too
much calculating numbers. a great job there, especially given the complexity of
the game.

One thing though, at the start of the game I did find that things took a bit of
getting used to. The tutorials are extremely good, but obviously hereing
someone else do something and doing it yourself are slightly different things.
Also, I noticed that despite me getting used to the original demo track, the
bonus track is stil fairly hard, ----- especially at first.

therefore, i wondered if you'd considdered adding a practice option, where
people could race the various tracks without interference from Art, neither
winning nor losing money. This would let first time players get accustomed to
things, and make sure that new tracks didn't always equal losses (it might also
be good for trying out the mouse control).

I also like the customization aspects, particularly as regards gear ratio
changing, ----- usually as I understand in driving games the differences in top
speed, acceleration and handling are controled by variation in car types, but
having them set  by the player adds a good deal of stratogy to the game.

the nitros and gravity puller are also nice additions, ----- it was using a
nitro that let me do for art at Pro level, with longer tracks, I'll also be
interested to see how fuel management figures into the equation.

Perhaps in a future version you might also considder adding atmospheric sounds
for the various tracks to emphasise the theme and location, just to add a bit
of realism and variety to the soundscape. You could for example have an alpine
track with snow and wind sfx in the background, with the track containing many
sharp curves and jumps, ----- a long desert themed track with some long
streights, ----- or even some tracks from the Uk with appropriate sounds of
driving rain (smile!). If this is something that would be a pest to program I
appologise, it just struck me as something that might add to the feeling of the
game.

finally, i have a question. thus far I've been playing the game on keyboard
(and fun it is). I did try the mouse but I found it rather difficult to keep up
a constant accelleration, sinse when the mouse got to the back of my desk and I
had to pick it up and move it I'd lose a lot of speed, ------ any suggestions?

all in all it's a great game, and I'll look forward to getting the full
version.

appologies for the long and rambling mail.

Beware the Grue!

Dark