Hi Ken,
Yes, it is possible to compress wav files by changing them from pcm wav
data to another wav format, but in many cases this has some very
undesirable effects. For example, if you chose to keep wav with a mp3
style compression the game files will take much longer to load into the
game. Perhaps not bad on one of Jim's games, but in a game like Monty or
Raceway the lag time is very obvious, and kills over all game
performance when switching levels or having to swap out several wav
files when changing rooms, etc.
The other issue is you probably never noticed is once saved in a
compressed format they don't properly allow DirectX to change frequency,
panning, and volume which allows the sounds to play havick with your
game. I tried this with Monty and the results were a disaster.