Hi Ari.

As far as I understand it Usernet was the networked of computers before the
internet became wide spread and main stream, ---- though I'm stil not sure
why some people stil mention usernet groups.

As reguards interactive fiction though, the very official group I know is
google groups rec-games-int-fiction which can be found at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.int-fiction

You can have it go through your in box as a mailing list I before, or do
what I did and just use it like a web forum.

it's quite accessible except for setting up an account which requires image
varification, but as this is google just send them an E-mail and they'll
sort your account and password out very quickly, ----- mine were done within
a day as I remember.

the groups nice for finding out about new If and of course voting and the if
comps work through it, but things got a litle too technical quite a lot of
the time for my taste, which is why I'm not a member anymore.

Hth.

Beware the google!

Dark.
-----