Hi Josh,
In fact, on the current version of my web site the name of Star Trek has
been dropped from the game. Future builds of STFC will be only known as
Final Conflict, but it it will still probably Star Trek based or at
least Star Trek-like.
In the next versions I plan to have you command a entire fleet of mixed
classes of ships from Constitution class ships from the Kirk era all the
way up to the powerful Sovereign-Class cruisers from the Star Trek
movies 8, 9, and 10.
So in this new version you might have a mixed fleet of Constitution era
ships, Excelcior-class ships from the Excelsior era, the
Ambassador-Class ships, the Galaxy-Class, Sovereign-Class,
Defiant-class, and may be an Intrepid ship or two.
Each ship would have its advantages and disadvantages. The
Intrepid-class ships like voyager have extremely good warp technology,
and has the fastest rated speeds on Federation record, but are less
armored and carry less firepower into battle than other classes. The
Defiant-Class is smaller than most ships but is a small armored ship
with cloaking and stealth technology, and can deliver quite  a heavy
punch. The Sovereign-Class after the battle in First Contact is the
front line battleship in the Federation fleet because of its good
armored hull design, heavy  firepower, but is slower than other classes.
The Constitution-class and Excelcior-classes were great for their day,
but there is still enough of them around to use as inexpensive ships to
fill in odd jobs for the Federation, or to fill in the ranks of a fleet
in the time of war.
To be able to build new and more advanced classes you might have to have
a few research bases constructed to pay for research into phaser
technology, warp technology, torpedo technology, cloaking technology,
armor technology, or whatever.
The cool thing about the way i am doing this we could even think of
concept ship classes such as a Sovereign-Class cruiser with a built in
cloak. That would be wicked as heck.