Hi Shaun,
Yeah, but you won't actually be commanding any one single ship. You will
be more like a fleet admiral. You will order new ships from the
shipyard, and then command them to certain sectors to patrol, defend, or
to enter an enemy sector of space for invasion.
Unlike in STFC current where you can basicly fight it out in Federation
space STFC 2 will force you to play more agressively. You will have to
cross into enemy held space to destroy shipyards, planetary defence
stations, research stations, etc. If you capture a mining colony you can
mine the planet for materials to build your ships and bases The more
planets you have the more you can tax and gather credits to buy better
ships and weapons.