Let's think about that for a second. People are still playing Chess. It
isn't regarded as silly or lacking in merit and that game's at least twelve
centuries old. As blind people, we have yet to experience a truly good
sidescroller despite the ease of this genre's translation into accessible
format. Instead of finishing up a sidescroller he already had worked on
extensively, Tom's engaging in a far more complex project. Something's just
wrong with this picture. Only in this community can things like this go on
without repercussions. Sidescrollers don't have to lack randomness. They
also don't have to be easy. If they were, they wouldn't have been as popular
in the sighted gaming world.

And no I can't program my own sidescroller. I would have done that long ago
if I had anything like the programming skill required. I'm an English major.
My skill is in writing well. One day, I may very well be able to put
together a turn-based story-based statistical/random chance resource
management game assuming there's a system out there that I can understand
well enough to use. Even achieving that will stretch me quite a lot. I'm
good at explaining things to people but I can't do that for computers.
That's why I'm not making any promises or selling something that isn't ready
for sale. Lacking the power to create a good sidescroller myself makes it
all the more frustrating when long-held hopes prove to ultimately be false.
There's absolutely nothing I can personally do about the situation. Instead
of a game rescued from disaster, we have a couple of very bad precedents
being set in the accessible games industry. Tom's experience will likely
disuade other developers from attempting to bring us accessible versions of
classic games. The whole concept of pre-ordering in order to support game
creation has also been dealt quite a serious blow here. I'm beginning to
seriously wonder whether we've seen the high point of accessible games and
the whole industry is on the way down. A lot of up and coming bright spots
have disappeared including the man who would have brought us a splendid
audio version of Asteroids which is another classic game I would dearly love
to play. I can only hope there are some fresh people out there with the
skills, sense of responsability and dedication required to keep things
interesting. I don't think this community can survive limping along as the
odd student decides to do some accessible game or other as a school project.
It's great when that happens but they by definition can't put the kind of
sustained effort into a game which a fulltime developer or even one doing it
as a hobby is able to.
Michael Feir
Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.blindspots.net/blog.php?user=13