Hi Charles,
Correct. In this respect programming languages are not all that
different from foreign languages as most of the documentation out there
is written in a standard language like C++ and then is translated into
whatever programming language the end user needs it for. In all respects
to my fellow developers they need to understand here that most of the
documentation assumes you have attended a college or vocational school
where C++ would have been amanditory requirement for a Computer Sience
or Certified Software Engineering degree. So the author assumes you are
coming at it from that background. If you are trying to access that
documentation and your only experience is with Visual Basic you aren't
going to be able to get much out of it unless you know a little C++ to
fully understand the example.
Another way to look at this is consider how English is used all over the
world for business and government purposes. I have talked to several
people from France, Germany, India, etc while I was in college and they
all say they had to take English as well as their native tongue in
school. So I imagine when with  fellow countrymen they spoke freely in
their native tongue. However, when turning in homework asignments,
ordering food  from McDonald's, etc they spoke English. The main reason
it was the common language everyone knew and could communicate through.
The same concept holds true for game programming and documentation. You
can go out and get first rate advanced game programming books like A.I.
for Game Developers, Programming Math and Physics, Game Programming
Gems, etc but unless you have some knowledge in C++ I am not sure how
well the documentation would carry over into your own game project
written in some other language. That is like a Frenchman speaking
directions to a guy who only knows English in French.