I have no experience with eva or the cane.  The guidedog, max, will read
text chats and will soon be able to speak your current location, and
hopefully things arround you.  This is still at a very early I'd call it
alpha stage at the moment, text chat was just put in last night.  Hope
this helps,

Mike

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]