My laptop has one, but it's pretty easy to spot. It's directly to the right of the volume buttons, the Volume Up key being convex versus the concave Volume Down and Mute keys. So I've never actually had issues with that. My problem was that for some bizarre reason the volume would inexplicably reset itself to zero, usually after a restart. It's fortunate that I'm familiar with the layout of the start menu or I wouldn't have been able to correct that on my own. That hasn't happened in quite a while though so I don't know what the deal is, but apparently it also used to happen to my folks as well. I remember one time I'd accidentally booted up Judgment Day while trying to access volume control. Of course that actually helped when the sound started coming back on since it was playing the game's intro. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Katie Madison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 5:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Beware of the Death Key

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the email. I had no idea that some keyboards came with a mute key. Thank goodness mine doesn't. My advice is that if you're keyboard has a mute key, label it in a way that you know what the key is. I'm glad you're wife solved the problem.> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; gamers@audyssey.org> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:42:07 -0500> Subject: [Audyssey] Beware of the Death Key> > Beware of the Death key.> by Phil Vlasak.> My wife was haply playing a game on her new Vista computer when all of a > sudden,> her computer died.> At first she thought that Jaws had crashed so she shut it down and> re-started it.> No speech came forth.> Next she re-booted the computer and no sounds or speech came up.> Well, I said, it must be the headphones.> So she checked the cord from the headphones to the computer and they were > still plugged in.> Then she pulled out the headphone cable and tested the speakers and> no sound came forth.> She next tried the volume up key on her keyboard and still nothing.> Then she remembered the death key, and she pressed it and glory be, sound > and speech was restored!> What is this death key you may ask?> For the blind it is the mute key.> The computer's sounds stay muted even through warm and cold boots and can > only come back to life when the key is pressed again.> So beware of that key and remember its location as your finger too might > slip and press the death key.> > > > ---> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at> http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,> please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]