Hi.

appologies for yet more random thoughts, but after waking up last night and not
wanting to do anything serious, I found myself playing some more Eamon delux.

In my usual predictable way I've started with the first adventures and gone on
from there. I've thus far completed, ---- ie, found everything obviously or
obscurely findable, rescued all those that need it, and smacked every monster
in all of the beginners adventures, and all the Don brown adventures accept for
the castle of count fuey.

now for my thoughts.

Many of these adventures were, ---- Donald brown's in particular were written
in 1980, in the days of low computer power, and before many of the sterriotypes
in fantasy game playing (even D&D was I believe only about 7 years old or so at
that point).

Thus, they are fairly symple, you wander a dungeon, smiting monsters and
grabbing loot.

The odd thing is, how addictive and fresh I actually find them.

While I freely admit the stock description dungeon passages and rooms can be
really irritating, ---- especially in large dungeons, to enter a new room, get
a modicum of description, find a unique object/mmonster, ---- even if all that
makes it unique is it's name and attack value, is actually proving to be
astoundingly fun.

When I ask myself why I, the one who dislikes grinding is perfectly happy with
a monster hacking dungeon crawl I get a one word answer, ---- exploration!

The dungeon rooms, elements and passages are unique enough to satisfy me that
I'm actually getting somewhere new, and give me the feeling that I actually
moving around a dungeon map exploring.

Only some dungeons in Sryth, ---- those with a high proportion of unique room
descriptions which do not rely as much upon the generic map have given me this
feeling.

while I've also got it from gamebooks, sinse they obviously are more focused on
a centralized narative approach than actually exploring a location, I don't
usually get the sense of space.

Again, interactive fiction and the Zork successors have done this very well,
---- though I often find myself really hitting my head against a wall in
several of the cave crawl style interactive fictions if the puzles are too
obscure (especially when we get into guess the verb situations).

Pluss of course, sinse Eamon does have the combat elements, your exploration
always has that sense of danger.

when I met the principle character in laire of the minotaur, I really did have
an "oh heck!" moment, sinse with those few lines of description about the
minotaur, I was already thinking of a huge, bull headed beasty, ---- and when
he took a swing at my girlfriend I had another one.

Admittedly, my gf was entirely superfluous to the adventure and didn't do mutch
beyond holding inventory items and fighting along side me, but at that stage I
was so much into the adventure that I really did want to see her get out alive
(sinse I'd gone in to find her anyway).

I'm impressed in general in Eamon about how litle is needed to evoke this
sense, and it makes me all the more irritated at stat grinding games, where the
monsters are merely names and sets of acconpanying stats, and may be always
found in one location by clicking "fight"

Just my thoughts.

Beware the Grue!

dark.