To be honest sean, to blame lack of exploritory games on graphics doesn't seem fair.

going back to the 80's we have examples like Metroid on the nes, and Turrican on the Amigar which had a massive exploration focus despite being A, graphical and B, symple.

Now, graphically, while as Tom's artical suggested there is indeed a bit of a surfit of "kill everything" games, ---- and I don't just mean action, i mean roleplay grinding, there are stil examples, ---- for instance the recent witcher series (which many of my rp orientated friends are pleased with), which have this factor, ---- though it is getting to the stage where you have to specifically go out and look for those sorts of gamesor series, rathern than just expecting it.

Claiming the graphical medium does not have desired elements which occurred in a few good old text adventures just doesn't make sense, ---- heck, my brother has bought all of the Phenix right games for the Ds, which are no holds bard interactive fiction mystery games with a graphical user interface.

As to the tech topic, ----- I really don't see how technical expertees relates to gameplay at all.

I myself do not find information technology interesting in it's own right, ---- or at least not more interesting than any other subject, and when compared to astro physics or biology for interest value, probably less interesting.

i only really became interested in computing, ----- as I believe Michael said, at the age of 18, principley because I had obtained the D&D manuals on Cd and wanted to work out how to read them, which required me to find out A, how to access files from a Cd, and B, how to load different sorts of text file formats in programs other than word.

From that point i've generally worked on a basis of "i wish to do X, so will
work out how to do X" which is I believe what your saying.

If there is a convenience factor in installation and configuration, it's just an improvement in the technology.

There will always be people who know how to program seriously, just as there will always bee people who know how to weave cloth.

The fact that people don't have to spend hours each day working on looms is simply a factor of increasing technology, nothing more, nothing less.

To automatically classify more convenience as "bad" is imho just as problematic as automatically saying all convenience is good (says someone who hand grinds his own coffee).

Beware the Grue!