hi.
AT&T Mike, or Scansoft Tom.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Ward
  To: gamers@audyssey.org
  Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:26 PM
  Subject: [Audyssey] Cross Platform Speech Support

  Hi all,
  As most of you know I am currently updating MOTA 0.5 to use the new
  cross platform Genesis engine that uses open source game development
  APIs such as SDL rather than DirectX. However, I do need your input on
  something since there obviously is going to be a rather big difference
  in the way speech is handled with the new engine.
  In the current 0.4 release of MOTA the game gets DirectX and Sapi 5
  support from the Windows specific engine. Since there is no Sapi 5 on
  Mac OS and Linux the newer Genesis engine uses wav files of pre-recorded
  speech to announce status messages, menus, etc rather than any OS
  specific TTS engine. There are several other game developers that do it
  this way like Draconis, GMA, and BSC so this isn't something new for
  accessible games. It is also just easier to do it this way when building
  a cross platform engine rather than trying to support Gnome-Speech,
  Apple Voices, and Sapi 5 with the  same game engine. Which brings me to
  my question.
  I was going to have someone do the voice overs for the menus, status
  messages, for 0.5 but do to other commitments and scheduling our plans
  fell through. For the time being i am going to have to record all the
  messages using a TTS engine such as the AT&T Voices, Scansoft Voices,
  Cepstral Voices, etc. If you had a choice which of the following voices
  do you personally prefer?

  AT&T Crystal
  AT&T Mike
  Scansoft Daniel