I see, I know this fact very well myself, first from other self-voicing games and second from a project I am working on myself (that's still only in czech though). But I still like this method of reading messages to the player more than using SAPI voices. But that's probably because the czech ones aren't very nice yet. Other than that, SAPI has great advantages of the game becoming much smaller in size, you can create more flexible messages or even include player names in the score recordings, etc., and it's not very difficult to code. But you are right that one must forget SAPI when they want to make their games cross-platform portable, as there is not a similar speech engine that would work on all three systems: Windows, Linux and Mac, currently. Am I right? This is how I understand it from your posts, as I've never researched the possibilities of the other two systems in this regard. But it's cool to hear about SDL as a working solution.
Lukas
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 6:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Cross Platform Speech Support

Hi Lukas,
One of the disadvantages to using pre-recorded speech is the fact that
you can't exactly get fluent more natural speech. Even with a human
voice you are at the mercy of how fast the game can load process and
play x number of messages in the right order. It can result in some
slightly unnatural speech output.

Lukás Hosnedl wrote:
Yeah, thanksfor the voice introduction. They were pretty okay. Maybe I would welcome Cristal in MOTA then but a more fluent, natural sounding voice would still be cool if there is any among the offered ones :-)
Lukas