  From: Ken
  To: Gamers Discussion list
  Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:09 PM
  Subject: [Audyssey] Good news: how to make the WII a whole lot moreaccessible

  If any of you have played the Wii, you know that it's just about impossible
to start, since on the startup screen there are seven buttons to push--four on
top and three on the bottom, which makes for a confusing and frustrating day at
the Wii console.  Even though you know the one you want is in the top left
corner, you just can't seem to find it and instead find yourself adjusting your
daughter's mii... (which is the way she programmed her character to look in the
games.)  Incidentally, I gave hers quite the hairdo.
  With the screen in such a state, you might spend an hour starting the game
you want and have time for a match of tennis before dinner time--if you're
lucky.
  Well, fear not Wii fans, because I have found a solution.  You'll need
sighted assistance for this but...
  In addition to the page containing the start game icon, there are three or
more pages with additional channels.  There are two ways to get to those
pages--the plus and minus keys on the Wiimote, or the arrows on the screen.
  What we are going to do is to drag each channel, (accept for the one we
want--the start game icon,) to another page.
  Have your friend hold a and b together while pointing at a channel, then move
to the right arro and let go--and they have successfully moved the channel.
You'll know it because you'll hear a chirp from the Wii and your friend saying,
"cool."
  Have them do this for the next five channels, and you're done.  You now have
a startup screen with only one button--well, plus the arrows, but they won't do
anything accept change pages and you just hit the minus button to get back to
the first page--no harm done.  So now all you do is move the Wiimote around
till it vibrates and you're there.  Make sure that your assistant moves the
channel you want--the start channel which, if they can't figure it out, will
say "Wii sports," on it if that CD is in, to a place far away from the
arrows--the upper left corner perhaps. I can now start the game almost every
time I try it, although somehow another channel appeared on the first page--but
that's what happens when you let your children play with adults' toys!  LOL
  Well, if any of you have or are considering to purchase a Wii, I hope this
helps.
  Ken D
  DTI