Hi,
Eclipse is very accessible. I use it with Window Eyes 7 any time i have important Java projects to do, and it also works fine with Orca on the Linux side. So it is a decent accessible cross platform Java IDE. To Ken or anyone else considering Java Eclipse also comes with a graphical toolkit called Swift. I highly recommend using Swift instead of swing if you plan to have Window Eyes, Jaws, Hal, and everything else support the application out of the box. The primary advantage of swift besides it is highly accesible it doesn't require a java access bridge to be installed to get access from the application. As for why I personally decided not to use Java I noticed that my Genesis Engine didn't perform as well written in Java as it did in C# .NET. Otherwise I like the language, it worked well for my test applications, but not apparently for what I wanted to do with it. A game that worked perfectly well under Windows crashed when ran on the Java VM for Linux so I felt I had to look at my other options.

John Bannick wrote:
Ken,

With all due respect to my colleagues, Java rocks!

It's an easy language to learn and to code in.

I believe that Eclipse is blind-accessible. Certainly IBM (which begat
Eclipse and still has a major hand in it) is blind-accessibility
supportive.

I've had no problems with sound using Java.

We play WAV files and MIDI files, as well as using the FreeTTS speech
synthisizer.

We've had no problems with sound on either Windows systems or the Mac.
Don't know about Linux, but don't see why the Java sound APIs would be a
problem there.

I have the highest respect for the technical assessments of Thomas, Che,
Ryan, et al. But Java works fine for me.

That being said, you might get more technical support from them and other
Audyssey folks if you use their languages.

Good luck in any case,

John Bannick
www.7128.com