If you don't mind me asking, which varient of linux do you use? You can fire
an off-list reply at me if you so choose.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of James Dietz
Sent: February 12, 2009 5:02 PM
To: gamers@audyssey.org
Subject: [Audyssey] Intro and random linux tips

Hey,

I'm James.  I've been an audiogamer for a while now.  My first was PCS'
shooting range, mobius and foxhounds back in 1997.  Grizzly Gulch came 3
years later, and only in 03 did I discover companies like ESP and Lworks.
I've been hooked ever since.

My favorite game is technoshock, followed by SOD.  Sidescrollers are fun,
and the original alchemy monty showed a lot of promise.  Tom's version
sounds fun too.

Instead of waiting for a time when this might apply, I thought I'd throw
this at the end of my message, as I just discovered this and wouldn't want
to forget it.  If anyone attempts to play games under linux (soundrts is the
only linux-native game I've tried), be sure to disable or uninstall
PulseAudio if you have it.  SDL and other sound mixing apps use ALSA, and
there is a noticable amount of lag when using pulse with these apps
(SoundRTS played a sound from 1-3 seconds after a keypress on my 1.6 ghz
netbook).  Speaking of linux gaming, wine is definitely not out of the
question - I've managed to run superdeekout, some lworks free games (betas
of super egg hunt and toy
robbery) almost entirely successfully after registering dlls (lworks games
drop out some sounds like chicken clucking or flapping or your footsteps but
they're still playable).  I have had more trouble before wine 1.0 was
released late last summer, but now more programs run than ever
(unfortunately technoshock plays intro and menu sound, but keyboard input
doesn't work at all *WHYYYYY?*).  I've shifted completely away from windows
(haven't used it since the beginning of the year), and darwine on the mac
works a little less well than it's linux equivalent.  Despite that, Super
Deekout runs perfectly on both.

James