Hi James,

linux (soundrts is the only linux-native game I've tried), be sure to
disable or uninstall PulseAudio if you have it.  SDL and other sound
mixing apps use ALSA, and there is a noticable amount of lag when
using pulse with these apps (SoundRTS played a sound from 1-3 seconds
after a keypress on my 1.6 ghz netbook).
End quote

Yes, during our research we encountered this issue first hand. At the time we weren't aware of what was causing the lag, and that may explain some of the problems we are experiencing with our Linux products. As you might or might not be aware in addition to the Windows releases of Mysteries of the Ancients and USA Raceway we have some cross platform games under development as well. As a result sometime in late 2009 or early 2010 games for the Linux platform should begin showing up on our products page.

Speaking of linux gaming,
wine is definitely not out of the question - I've managed to run
superdeekout, some lworks free games (betas of super egg hunt and toy
robbery) almost entirely successfully after registering dlls (lworks
games drop out some sounds like chicken clucking or flapping or your
footsteps but they're still playable).  I have had more trouble before
wine 1.0 was released late last summer, but now more programs run than
ever.
End quote

Well, we looked at wine for Mac OS X and Linux and discovered it works but isn't a practical solution. As you pointed out sounds can often drop out, keyboard/joystick input doesn't respond correctly, or other things can go wrong with a game under wine. We managed to get Shades of Doom to play under wine 1.0, but it didn't play exactly perfect. As a result from a development and tech support standpoint we decided to go native Linux rather than depend on wine for our games. Though, for playing games like Jim Kitchen's games Wine works quite well.

I've shifted
completely away from windows (haven't used it since the beginning of
the year), and darwine on the mac works a little less well than it's
linux equivalent.  Despite that, Super Deekout runs perfectly on both.
End quote

Glad to see there is another Linux fan on list here. I also spend most of my time in Linux if i can help it. That is part of my interest in making Linux and Mac ports of my games.
If you want a no non-sense
Windows game emulator i'd say Cedega is a good start. In my experience some games run better with Cedega than Wine, but I've seen where some games work better with wine than Cedega. Neither solution is perfect and running Windows only games on Linux is tricky at best. However, i am glad to know some games like Super Deecout run equally well on Mac and Linux via emulation.
Thanks.