There are separate sounds for the torch being selected, alight, and
extinguished.  The sound of a torch alight and burning is an obvious
indication that one is alight to my ears.

It's definitely possible to hold a weapon in one hand and your torch
in the other, of course having both hands full would make climbing
tricky, and possibly should make opening doors and moving statues
tricky too, though it doesn't currently.

Moving through the water on the beta level doesn't extinguish your
torch, but jumping into it will because the water splashes up when she
lands in it.  You'll know this has happened by the sound of your torch
extinguishing, and the absence of the sound of your torch burning.  If
you collect up a few torches, find your way back to the water and play
around with it, once you get a few tries to pick out the sounds you
shouldn't be needing spoken prompts for this stuff.

Did I miss anything?

Scott