Hi Mani,
Yes, that is pretty close to the truth. There are a few mainstream games, mostly in the fighting genre, that are accessible, but by and large most mainstream games aren't very accessible at all. That is why we have a very active community of blind game developers that write audio based games for the community. Some are free and some are commercially driven. Since you asked for mainstream games as I said above it largely appears like games in the hand to hand fighting genre such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc can be fairly accessible after the blind gamer practices and memorizes how to play the game. Also the WWE wrestling games such as WWE Smack down VS Raw series is fairly playable once the blind gamer gets use to listening to the various sounds, learns the moves, and does a lot of practice with it other games very depending on how much sight is required to play it.. In all cases a blind gamer has to write down or memorize things like menu layout, which buttons do what, as well as get familiar with what sounds mean what. So even if a mainstream game is playable it still takes a fair amount of practice, memorization, and learning to get any good with it.

Mani Djazmi wrote:
Hi,

my name's Mani Djazmi and I'm a reporter on the In Touch programme at BBC Radio
4 in England. I'm currently researching a feature on the accessability of
computer games for blind and partially sighted people. The impression I'm
getting is that mainstream games generally aren't very accessible so bespoke
ones are being produced. Is this fair? Do any of you guys play mainstream games
and how do you find them?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and knowledge.

Cheers

Mani