Hi,

This is a tricky one because it depends on your definition of
accessible. For example, a lot of these games that are available for
blind people to play, are not accessible or not so accessible to people
who are lets say deaf blind. So firstly it's important to accurately
define who these games are accessible for. In the majority of cases, you
would need to be able to hear what you are doing in order to play the
game, just as a sighted person would need their vision to be able to
play the mainstream game. Or what I would consider to be mainstream.

Now having said that, there are some games out there, that by accident,
not design, are playable to various degrees whether you are totally
blind or if you have some vision. There are some games out there which
has already been said, that do require visual input as it were. For
example, the x series of games from http://www.egosoft.com. Now I have
only 10% vision in the left eye, and only light perception in the right.
Yet I can fly the various ships within those games, tell them where to
go, trade and fight. The thing that bugs me with these games, is that
they have a pretty good audio system in the game, but they haven't made
full use of it. At least not enough where by people like myself can play
it. Now even if they did that, a totally blind person couldn't fly the
ship or even fly it into combat and get out alive. But because of the
fact that I can see, if only a little, a fully integrated audio system
would go a long way towards making those games and games like it
accessible. Now on the blind friendly games side of things, there isn't
a game unfortunately that even comes close to this series of games,
which I have followed and played avidly for 10 years now. Which I think
is very sad because this is my favourite type of game. Whilst Thomas has
said and quite accurately that the street fighter games and such are
probably the most accessible form of game to play, that may be true but
stuff like that just doesn't work for me for very long because that's
not what I want. I used to play the origional Elite back in the 80's
when I was 10 so that gives you an idea as to what type of gamer I am.
And unfortunately nothing even remotely like the most simplistic forms
of space sim has even come out on this community. So something like the
x series of games from egosoft I would dearly love to see created.

But all is not lost. There are online, web based games out there that
people can play. I play 1 such game, http://www.war-facts.com. This is
an online, empire building type of space game where by you start off on
a planet with a single colony and you go out into the universe of over
100000 star systems and well over 1000000 planets to colonise, explore,
or conker depending on who's on it. This game hasn't been designed at
all for blind persons to play, yet it is completely accessible thanks to
some tweaking I have been suggesting to the developers over the years.
They have listened and as such acted. It's what's kept me going back
since 2004. and paying to go premium because I like the game. I wouldn't
give my money if I didn't.