One of the best tools for the blind to learn chess that I have come across is the Hadley School. They offer a correspondence course in either braille or on audio cassettes for beginners. After you complete this course, if interested, they offer a more advanced course in the same formats. Each comes with a set of braille diagrams as part of the study material. You learn at your own pace, and the instructor is patient and friendly. The courses come with everything you need, even a chess set adapted for blind players that is very nice with the course for beginners. After completing these courses, you can keep the study materials for future reference. Offhand, I don't recall the web address, although I'm certain that you can find it using your favorite search engine.

---
If guns cause crime, pencils cause misspelled words.
----- Original Message ----- From: "william lomas" <lomaswill...@googlemail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Chess Games

I am currently learning the game of chess, it sounds a fascinating game to get in to.

On 27 Feb 2009, at 02:55, dark wrote:

Hi Robert.

The two Kchess games, ilete and advanced are I think what you want.

both have board printing options, and indeed a graphical board, but are highly screen reader friendly, with all the standard windows commands in menues for example and various ways of reviewing the board.

They also save games in multiple file formats which should help in your postal games I think.

The only bad news is they're not free, but both have a 30 day evaluation period.

For more info go to: http://www.arkangles.com/

Hth.

Beware the Grue!

Dark.