Hi Bryan,
Mission 1 is a snap. As you figured out you don't have to move from your location. You basically sit there and shoot anything that crosses your bow. That said I tend to change direction slightly to get a better aim if a ship is still sinking and I need to get a torpedo passed it to kill another ship coming on my port or starboard side. If I can find it, unlikely, I had a step by step walkthrough for level 1 that gives you a blow by blow play how to beat that level. At least one possible way to do it without working at it too hard.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
Now I just have to complete Mission 1. I can worry about the others later...once I get my key of course.