Hi Nicol,

Firstly, I have noticed that pressing escape in the main menu does nothing;
the game does not respond if I press escape.
End quote

It is not suppose to. if you notice the shortcut keys assigned to each menu option to exit the game from the main menu press x or arrow to exit program. Escape is turned off in the main menu for a very good reason. Mainly if you press escape in the settings menu, experience menu, it falls through to the main menu and you end up exiting the game. i didn't want that to happen so escape is not supported in the main menu.

Secondly, I have noticed that there is a locked door right at the beginning
of the level, at the left, but there is no way to open it.
If I progress in the level and I am in the lake and I go back, I cannot go
back to that locked door at the beginning of the level.
I'm told; looks like a dead end.
What is hidden in that room left to 1room1?
End quote

There is nothing behind the locked door you are talking about. It is suppose to be the main door, the door Angela came through, to enter the tomb from the out side. It is locked because I don't want anyone to open it. If they did they would crash the game, and be flooding my inbox with all kinds of error and bug reports that would be meaningless seeing as that door wasn't suppose to be opened in the first place. Now, as far as how it works into the story goes it is not too different from Shades of Doom, Sarah, and other adventure type games. You enter the tomb, the main door gets locked behind you, and you have to find another way out of the tomb. Make sense?
Smile.