Hi.
I have just tried to reconstruct the sapi system from scratch by deleting the
entire key structure, all I managed to do was mangle sapi which I promptly
restored from a backup, in any case installing the engine for recognition
causes the same error.
Interestingly running sapisvr.exe fixes this  issue but only for a single run
of the sapi control panel.
I set a profile up, which I then did a basic training session.
I also deleted the default speech profile and oked the changes.
on reopening the pannel the same error and some buttons ie settings, etc don't
show.
so what ever it is is either an obscure file or its just beyond my reach.
Unless someone has a suggestion on how to unbreak this and what would cause the
thing not to do what it says its not doing then by all means tell me.
Oh and i have changed the audio output  to use the realtech card in the system
not a prefured device as its default says.
I have also checked sound things and everything is set.
I am sure I have in fact checked files/ installs/ registry unless I am ofcause
missing something.
I loathe to ask ms support as the last time I did that I had to reformat
because they wrecked my system.
I really don't want to mangle anything else if I can help it.
And I don't want to reformat either.
Can not be bothered anymore with this.
its just the rec engine that is just not working right.
I have also tried to kill keys in hkey_local_machine and hkey_current sapi.
in both cases all I got was no sapi and then cpl rundll32 error things which
were only fixed when these keys were restored  from the backup of the keys.
So I suspect its not a case of a corrupted file, an sfc /scannow check assures
no errors.
no spyware is on the system either.
I think I have covered everything possible.