Hi

Does SlimDX has support playing of file formats other than wav? E.G mp3? If I were to develop games, it would be a major space saver. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers
Dickson
From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:17 PM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] learning c#

Hi Dickson,
Two very good books you might want to look at is Learning C# and Programming C# both published by O'reilly and associates. These books can be found on Bookshare or you can pay to read them online at
http://safari.oreilly.com
which is the most accessible and comprehensive programming site I know of.
As far as learning to write Windows forms applications in C# that is really the entire point of using a language like Visual C#. It provides a programmer with a quick and easy method to rapidly create, design, and deploy Windows applications. What a lot of blind programmers have trouble with is not the language, but understanding how to use the development tools properly. Any book you pick up and read will tell you to drag and drop a control from the toolbox. Well, technically speaking the method a sighted person uses isn't how we would perform that same task. For example, let us assume a programming tutorial tells us to drag and drop a button on our form. We can't do that you say. Of course not the way the books tell you how to do it, but there is a quick and easy alternative. First, make sure you are centered on the Windows form. Second, press control+w then the letter x. This will drop you in the toolbox window. Select button from common controls and it will be dropped on the center of your form. Now, press f4 on the button and a properties window will appear. Now, you can punch in the position, height, width, name, etc by hand.When done press escape and you have just created a new button. Press f7 on your newly created button to open the code window to write the button clicked event code for that button. That's justone example where knowing how to correctly use the IDE helps. As far as what to use in your games I highly suggest using SlimDX instead of Managed DirectX or XNA. The Managed DirectX API has been replaced by the XNA Framework, and is scheduled to be removed from the core DirectX SDK in the not too distant future. So Managed DirectX is something of a dead end. The XNA Framework isn't fully accessible do to its dependancy on XAct for audio development which also makes it a poor solution. SlimDX, however, is an open source API that uses the combo of DirectX and XNA components. Unlike the Microsoft XNA Framework the SlimDX team depends on the newer XAudio2 and X3D libraries for audio out put which makes it fully accessible, and doesn't require XAct for programming sound support. So that is my recommendation.
HTH