check you have latest directx 9c, check you have dotnet 3.5 with latest packs.
also 1.1.
if this does not work then something is wrong with the stupid redist installers.
get
www.blind-games.com/redist.zip
or at least I think it is and unzip it, uninstall and reinstall all the redist
files.
if that doesn't work then its a new bug.