Hi John,
I have some experience creating audio games in Java, but my experience wasn't all that positive. Earlier this year I ported one of my games, Mysteries of the Ancients, to Java, but the game failed to live up to expectations. It ran slow, used too much memory, and run sluggish on some systems. In the end I was forced to return to the version written in C# .NET.

John wrote:
Hello all,
John Brieger here. I am currently developing an audio-game in Java, and am
wondering if anyone else on this list has done so already. If so, do you have
any tips/advice for me? It seems as though most games developed on this list
are using the .NET framework, but I wanted to be able to run over a browser in
applet form. As I continue to work, I will most likely post up demos for
testing purposes.

My game is a modified Pac Man in which the player, using directional sound
cues, must retrieve beacons while being chased by an enemy. The beacons spawn
one at a time, and in addition to directional (RIGHT/LEFT) sound, the beacons
grow louder the closer you get to them. As someone who has never programming a
sightless game before, it would be helpful to hear from some veterans.

Thanks in advance,
John