The interesting thing I've found with Rail Racer is that if I don't
play it for weeks at a time, the next time I fire it up I have a
truely horrible few runs while I get the knack back.  It's got nothing
to do with remembering controls or tracks, it's more like tuning back
into the balance so you can do turns and jumps accurately without
overthinking.  That in itself adds replay value for me, because
there's always a few awkward races when I first pick the game back up
before I can crank up the music and really enjoy it.

It's bizzarre, makes me feel like that gaming session was actually
slightly productive.  It might just be specific to me, since even at
my best I'm not as good as I'd like to be, but it's something I've
never seen from any other accessible title.