The problem here is that if you go the hardware-specific route it can sometimes be difficult to get replacement keys in the event of a hardware crash. If you're a developer yourself sometimes you can find yourself deluged with replacement requests, many of which are genuinely needed through no fault of the user. And let's face it, some companies charge full pprice for a key replacement or don't offer them at all. And if a person's willing to give out their key and name to someone else then the one we should really be blaming, if indeed anyone is to blame, is that person, the one callous enough toward the dev to just give out their name and key.
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Damien C. Sadler" <dam...@x-sight-interactive.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 3:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Q9 and cracks

Hi Thomas,
Isn't it better though, to make it secure as possible?
I mean, you and I know better, but wouldn't it make it easier for friends to share keys? Friends will do anything for each other usually, even if it means being secretive to help another friend. I've seen it in the past. If somebody knows that all they need to do to register is find out somebody's name and key, more people will think they won't need to pay for it. If the key is online or hardware based, at least they can be tracked, and it would be harder, as code cracking techniques would be necessary. Most people wouldn't know how to do that, therefore they are forced to buy it if they want to play it. I would imagine more people would approach friends about keys than they would surfing around on the internet trying to find cracks for hardware based keys. That's just my opinion, but if you feel different, I will change my registration system to suit the needs of my fellow gamers. I am open to discussions about this, since I am still thinking of and attempting to produce new games.
Regards,
Damien.