Hi philip.

Unfortunately as others have said it isn't ultimately going to make a whole
lot of difference what you do as far as security, there are people out there
who feel they are entitled to something for nothing and so they will steal
your product.  If you do decide to go with an internet based registration
system, it is best if you do have a backup way for somebody to register who
does not have an active connection because you are going to find customers
who are in that situation.  Unfortunately what this comes down to is you
have to try to strike a balance between making it as hard as possible for
the thieves while keeping it practical for yourself to handle sales and
registration without more hassle than you are willing to deal with.

If you do find for instance an ftp service hosting your software with keys,
provided it's offices are here in the States at least the most you might
have to do to get it shut down is get a cease and desist letter from an
attorney.  The developer I work with has done that in the past I believe and
they took it down pretty quick.  They can say all they want in their terms
of service that they are not responsible for what's on the servers but they
don't want to be sued over it.  If the thieves are being smart and putting
the stuff up on a site in Russia or something then practically speaking
there isn't much you can do about it legally.  The advantage of using a
name/key system which is what I guess you are using now (I haven't bought
the game yet), is that you know who is handing their keys out.  Depending on
how aggressive you wanted to be about it you could potentially take legal
action against them for this, although most small time developers don't.
So, what I would say as far as dealing with the keys that are out there, be
as aggresssive in dealing with it as is practical.  And yes I agree with
what another poster said, there should be a blacklist of these people who
are doing this so that developers can refuse to sell to them.

Good luck.

Tom