Thanks Dark,

Unfortunately, I don't have a Braille Display so was just relying on cursor movement commands. So far, I have done reasonably well, but it is really interesting to hear how others play.

Thanks for the note about Angband.

Jeremy

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Playing Nethack,either the DOS or Windows Version with Jaws, any tips?

Hi Jeremy.

I've personally never had much luck with ascii games at all, ---- owing to my lack of a braille display.

I have however been very impressed with Angband found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angband_(video_game) for some great in built access features, such as ability to get a list of all on screen monsters and objects, ability to have a moveable curser which works like a curser in a screen reader and can flip betwene interesting objects and monsters on screen, --- and the character of course.

I'd be very interested to know if these features existed in Nethack, ---- sinse other than the highlighter curser, I couldn't find anything, which has been another contributing factor to me having difficulties with the game.

Currently I play angband with a combination of my remaining site, an easy visibility graphical tile set, hal, and these access features, ---- but I have been in discussion with the developer about adding more access features to the game to allow it to be playable entirely by commands alone.

Such features I've suggested include a directional look command, and a basic distance factor expressed as coordinates to tell you the distance betwene your character and the object highlighted by Anband's highlight box.

Hopefully we'll see these in a future release of Angband, ---- and in the mean time, sinse Angband does I believe just use the standard ascii, ---- I'd recommend it to people who might ahve braille displays due to it's great access features.

Oh btw, if Angband can have these features added, they could also be added into angband innumerable varients, ---- some of which are full rpg games with quests, many environments etc, ---- which could then be accessible too.

All the best,

Dark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Hartley" <jeremyhart...@comcast.net>