Hi charles,

Yup, you got it right. Other than pits, you're invinsible when a
shield is active, so I suppose it's all around you because it works
just as well on attacks from behind.  You're free to use other weapons
in conjunction with it, that way any attack from the enemy rebounds
upon there health, adding Q9 diligently hacking away at them with your
weapon of choice takes out nasties at a rapid rate.  I particularly
enjoy dancing with bears with shields up.

Hth
Scott