The shields are forcefields, and therefore offer full scale protection and yes, using your club to bash skulls is often a good way of taking out lots of enemies while using a shield.

Beware the grue!

To: "audyssey gamers group" <Gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:00 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] the shields in Q9

Maybe I'm confused a bit on the use of the shields. As I understand it, the damage the monsters try to inflict on you is bounced back upon them when you activate a shield, and no damage is done to you while it remains active. If this is the case, you would be invincible while it is active, other than stepping off of a drop-off. Should other weaponry be used at the same time to more quickly destroy the attacking monsters?, or should you merely face them and let them do themselves in? Come to think of it, are these shields all around you?, or just in front. If monsters attack from behind, do the shields also protect you from them?, or must you quickly turn and kill.
---
In God we trust!