hmmm if you are at school it may be an issue.
School may in fact dissallow the fact you can't install apps, or in fact
download anything.
They can regulate what you see and hear.
And for good reason, I was trying to figgure out issues on a tech network.
Aparently if security hit the network, well threats like viruses, etc its
almost impossible to track.
every 6 months every system is reformatted.
and restored from an immage.
Laptops are not allowed generally on the network and you can only do sertain
things.
If your system is loaned to you for school reasons and its on their network
then you will just have to abide by their polocy I am affraid.
If its your own system ie you own it and its connected to the school network
then you may or may not have the same restrictions that the other school
systems have on the network.
Its not likely that you can get the system in your name, unless you ask for
that.
Its also not likely you will get  your system fully accessible.
This means for you a reformat and for the school in question that it will have
to tend with a free system on their networks using different systems and
software potentually.
Its true that in my school and one of the blind institute flats I had, I was
friendly  with the local admin and he allowed me to bring in my laptop, and run
it freely with no restrictions on the network, i could do anything I wanted and
within reason he wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
he even let me have a loan  of a network card.
he could have said I would need to reformat, install the network software, use
their programs, and do what they wanted.
He could have even  not allowed me to have the computer at all in the place.
After I got home from staying at that place I'd probably have to reformat again
and restore everything.
One thing may save you some issue though not sure.
if you have one account log in  to the school and say one account in your name
local then you probably would be ok, its still  a hastle as you would need to
reinstall everything and reorganise everything and remember what goes where.
Another way you could do it was have a server you logged into  to do all your
school stuff and just have your system doing local stuff without all the extra
school services.
Now if the system is yours, and you are using the system freely am allowed to
use your system freely on the network and within reason can download what ever
you want  you could ask for your own name or account or something.
You could ask for admin rights on your system but not neccessarily the entire
network.
They may let you have that but depends on what they want, they can be vary one
sided.
You may have to do with less access to some things.