Hi Shaun,
I usually target the destroyers first. First, because they are fast
attack boats, and second they die pretty easy from a couple direct
hits. If you can take out the destroyers then you can deal with the
battleships personally without a bunch of destroyers buzzing around
overhead trying to blow you out of the water.