To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] games created with b.g.t.

Hi William,
It really comes down to being creative. If you absolutely must base
your game off of something you know then do it in a way that doesn't
infringe upon an existing  copyright. Here is an example.
You all know I love Tomb Raider. Those games are among my  favorites.
However, I can't just exactly rip the sounds and music, and use Lara
Croft because those are copyrighted by Edos interactive. The way I got
around that restriction is by changing the name of Tomb Raider to Tomb
Hunter, and created my own character called Angela Carter. In
Mysteries of the Ancients you are doing much the same things as in
Tomb Raider, but it doesn't infringe upon any copyrights and is
legally a separate game. Edos Interactive doesn't have an exclusive
ownership on that type of game just the sounds, characters, etc under
the Tomb Raider trademark. You see how that works?
Now, obviously some games are harder than others to create. Star Wars
is pretty specific and can't easily be watered down to a generic game
the way Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones can. However, if you look at it
many games can be cloned in such a way that doesn't infringe upon any
copyright. Aliens in the Outback, Troopenum, etc are all enspired of
Space Invaders but are also very quite unique. DynaMan was enspired by
Packman, but is also unique in its own right. Shades of Doom was
enspired by Doom, but also is unique and not exactly Doom per say. So
it can be done. You just need to learn where the legal lines are and
avoid them by changing this or that to suit the legal requirements.

Cheers!