Hi Philip,
Hmmm..I did something similar when I took preorders for Montezuma's
Revenge which later became Mysteries of the Ancients. I tend to give
those who paid for the software higher priority than those users who
didn't pay and want to see feature x.
One thing I can say about pre-ordering a title is people with licenses
tend to debug and find problems faster than those who are casually
using the software in some sort of demo mode. The fact they are using
a demo usually means the are locked out of certain features etc and by
allowing them to license and test the beta while it is being developed
works both ways. Problems are found and corrected earlier and the
developer gets capital while working on the project.
The only thing I disagree with here is trying to set a cut off date. I
don't know about you, but I constantly set release dates only to find
I can't make themon time. Usually family issues, real work, whatever
gets in the way and I can't get to this or that right away. So I don't
let people know those private release dates publically as that might
cause more problems than it is worth.