From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of valiant8086
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:52 PM
To: The Kolesar Brothers; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Asking a sound card question.

Hey. I briefly considered replying to you off list, but I think this is on
topic since it deirectly relates to your playing games on the headset.

Ok, first, I want to assume both of your headsets are USB, or one of them,
the cordless one, is bluetooth. If this isn't the case, let me know.

In the case of bluetooth and USB headsets, they create their own soundcards
for themselves. This means when you connect your USB headset you have at
least two soundcards. The sound blaster internal and another one that
controls the headset.

It sounds like you have your internal sound card, the sound blaster, set as
your default output device.  Vista and win7 have a control panel option that

lets you configure things like this.

To find it go to start menu and type sound. Down arrow until you get to
sound and press enter. The first thing you should get to when doing this is
the playback tab, and you should initially land in a list view. It will have

different things in this list, all having to do with sound output. They are
different output devices that you can choose from. By default Vista win7
likes to call output devices just speakers, making it difficult to figureout

which one is which. To fix this, discover the default device for output by
pressing the context key on each item and looking for an item in the context

menu that says "set as default device. If you can't find it the device you
pressed the context key on happens to be  the default device already.
Asuming the device you hear audio coming from right now is your default
device, you could then leave the context menu with the escape key, and then
press f2 to rename the device to something like Sound Blaster or what ever
you think it is and press enter when done typing a new name.

Now, not being on your computer I don't know how many other devices you have

to choose from. If you've only one, you've got it easy. You should be able
to arrow to that other device and, hoping it really is your headset, hit the

context key on it and arrow down to set as default device and press enter.
Have to be really careful with this, as if you set it to a device from which

you can't hear audio right now, for instance my digital SPDIF output on this

laptop, you will have lots of fun getting your speech back. You could make
sure your screen reader is set to use a specific soundcard before you go
messing with that stuff, that way no matter what you do the screen reader
should continue to output through the sound blaster internal.

If you have a new enough version of jaws, you can find out by the lack or
presence of the of the soundcard option in a moment, go to jaws by pressing
insert+j, then go to the utilities menu and try to locate a sound card sub
menu. If you have it, right arrow to open it and select sound blaster. By
default it is probably set to default.

Hope this helps.