There are accessible versions of DND fourth edition out there.  I don't
remember where I got mine, but I certainly have the player's book and the
dungeonmaster's guide.  Since I don't really play DND much, as I think the
rules are too cumbersome and far more useful at simulating battle than
creating good role-play, I never pursued DND fourth edition further.  I am
currently playing Warhammer 3rd edition from Fantasy Flight Games.

I do love Mutants and Masterminds, though, and sure wish I had a local group
that played it.

You can find numerous role-playing books, in a wide variety of systems, at
www.rpgnow.com.  There are numerous other sites, including the Indy press
revolution site, where role-playing games are published electronically
nowadays.  For instance, the role-playing game based on the Dresden files
will be released electronically.  In fact, a PDF copy is available for those
who preorder the game now.

As to where to play, DND groups can be hard to find, primarily because most
people don't openly advertise that they are gamers.  I certainly don't
announce it at work, because you either open yourself up for mockery or
really odd looks and inane questions about ritual sacrifice and other
nonsense.

Many game stores will have either weekly games, or bulletin boards where you
can advertise for gaming groups, or both.  Someone observed that game stores
are often in deep, dark corners, and are hard to find, and this is alas
true.

You can also play on-line.  Many people play over Skype or other voice chat
tools like Ventrillo.  Others play on-line through Email lists or at forum
sites like www.rpol.net.

Good luck.