Hi Lori,
No, the power pills are not random. Like the classic Packman the power
pills are always located in the four corners of the outer ring.  If
you are being chased by a ghost and a power pill isn't near by then
run like the blue blazes. If you are familiar enough with the maze you
can usually lose the ghost if you have a good head start on it.

HTH