That must have been a Latin thing then since according to Circe in the Odyssey they were Harpies...at least from the version I read in High School. They also called Hades Tartarus and of course Kerberos Cerberus.
We are the Knights who say...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Thoughts About Healing Potions

Hi,
Oh, the Sirones were definitely a type of mermaid. They would lore
sailing ships to their doom by singing a song that would mesmerize the
ship's crew.
Anyway, anyone who has ever read classic Greek poetry etc would know a
siren and a harpy are two completely different creatures. Harpies are
generally under the domain of Hades, and guard the gates to Hades.

Smile.